Monday, July 20, 2009

Church History

So I think I am up to Sunday! It was a beautiful day to go see things! Palmyra is so beautiful, well the entire area is, but the special places we visited seemed even more beautiful!
We spent most of our time at the Smith farm in Palmyra. There is the old log home and the larger more modern home. Also this is where the Sacred Grove is. The Sacred Grove is where Joseph Smith went to pray when he was confused about religion due to the many opposing views at that time. When he prayed he was visited by God the Father and Jesus Christ in this grove of Trees. It is a special place to us and we felt so grateful to be able to visit this place. It is so beautiful and filled with the Spirit.

I want anyone who reads this to know that this experience in the Sacred Grove was really special to me. Our children could feel the Spirit there and knew of the Love their Heavenly Father has for them. It was a wonderful feeling for me. I am so Grateful for a God who loves us and has not abandoned us but is alive in our lives today. Who called a young boy to do a great work. The gospel is so important in my life.

This is the view of the Plamyra Temple from the Smith farm.

The homes
I think our kids are awesome... Yep, this is the Sunday shirt! We were going to paint the ties but haven't gotten around to it yet.


Ok another really cool thing is that Melanie ran into an old friend of ours who owns a historical home in the area. It is called the Tomlinson Inn and was a stage coach stop around the time of Joseph Smith. Our old friend doesn't rent it out any more, he just invites people when he wants to. He let us stay there for 3 nights. This is where the second branch of the church held their meetings. It was really a neat house! We were really lucky!







So now we are in Boston and if I don't get some sleep I will be sick tomorrow! I'm glad to have gotten this stuff on here. It helps me to reflect on the great experiences we are having and I am so grateful!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

K so basically I had chills reading this and looking at the pictures! So beautiful...I'm gonna show my kids in the morning, cuz we are reading JSH right now as a family and they will love to see the Sacred Grove! Thanks for sharing, I feel like I get to share a bit w/you!