Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Carter's talk.

My son was asked to speak in church this past Sunday. I wanted to share his talk because I thought it was so sweet. This boy has such a good heart. I am amazed by the things that go through his brain. He sometimes has me puzzled, because I can't get a read on him when he is so quiet... but then I just tickle him or squeeze him tight and get a smile out of him and I know all is well in his heart.

Enjoy his short but sweet talk. (He decided he would keep it short because two boys from our ward were giving a missionary farwell talk and he wanted to give plenty of time to them! Smart kid)

Talk given by Carter Noh 09-27-09

Service

Today I have been asked to speak on Service to Others. When the Savior was on the earth, he spent his time serving others.

Serving someone does not have to be a large act. Sometimes making someone’s day can be as small an act as smiling and being friendly. You might be serving others without even knowing it.

Service is only service if we do it with a glad heart. If we are helping someone, but we do so unhappily and murmuring, it is not real service. But if service is done with a happy heart and a good attitude, it will help us grow spiritually.

President Spencer W. Kimball once said, “The more we serve our fellow men in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls.”

One of the greatest acts of service is love. The Savior has told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. When we show love to others, we are serving them very much.

Sometimes Heavenly Father will use us to help others. When we serve them we are acting as tools in his hands. When you serve others you are also serving the Lord.

There are many ways to serve those around us. When we magnify our church callings, we are serving others. By being a good son or daughter and mother or father, we are serving our families. At school, we can serve others by setting a good example and being a good student. By being a good citizen in our town and country, we are serving others. We should always try to seek out opportunities to serve others in our homes, at church an everywhere we go. When we do missionary work and invite others into the gospel, we are also serving them and the Lord.

Some of the people who have served me are my parents, my teachers, and the church. My parents have given me the greatest kind of service; they have loved me, cared for me and taught me what is right. My teachers in both school and church have also done me a great service. By educating me and helping me grow, they have helped prepare me for a full and successful life. The church has shown me service by showing me what is right and pointed me in the right direction.

When the Savior was on the earth, He spent his time serving others. If you follow His example, you will be blessed and will come closer to Him.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, did he write that by himself? I am truly impressed. His verbage, his use of the english language, this kids has BRAINS!

Billie said...

funny thing, I was trying to get him to think about stuff... I asked him how long it was and he said, "just a page". so I thought I'd read it and help him come up with a story or something... I read it and it was perfect! I said, Carter, I don't need to help you out at all. It's perfect! He is a good kid!

Nettie said...

A teenage boy wrote that? Wow! Carter has always been an old soul.

Washington Tacoma Mission said...

I am not surprised that Caerter wrote his talk. He is a boy who thinks and figures things out. He will make a great missionary in a few years. He is a great boy, he tis a cross between his mom and dad.