Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back to it... Our time in Nauvoo

I've had a few people remind me that I never finished blogging the trip... I knew it would happen. I knew that if I didn't do it while we were there it wouldn't get done, but dang it, I was just too tired! Now weeks later Im sure I will use less words to desciribe the experience, but hopefully the pictures and spirit will speak for it's self...

Nauvoo is just WONDERFUL. I can't believe I didn't know it before. President Hinckley said it and I will repeat something that sounds like what he said (because I can't remember the exact quote), "Everyone sould go to Nauvoo!!!" It is a special place with a spirit about it that I have never before felt. I feel like I know the people who experienced the hard ships so well. I feel like I understand a tiny bit of their trials. I feel like we are more like kin that ever before. It gave me a connection I didn't know I would find or enjoy!

There are so many things to do and see there that even if you couldn't make it to see the pagent you wouldn't even know there was anything you missed! They keep you busy with all kinds of wonderful entertainment and things to do and see! It was a great experience to be there with our kids and to see them enjoy it so much. Kendahl did love the pagent and went two nights in a row and then begged to go the third night.

We enjoyed a three mile trek like the pioneers took with the hand cart. We were blessed because I guess we had it easy. It hadn't rained in days, so there was no mud to speak of, which I take it is not always the case. There were dried up ruts and I could tell that if there had been rain it would of been a much different experience. But we did the whole three miles and enjoyed while we traveled along! Along the path you read stories and events that the saints had to endure while on their journey to the the Salt Lake Valley. It was tender and brought their struggles more to light. And then there were SO many more experiences just as amazing.

Oh I think I could go on and on, but the main thing that I want to portray is that there are others before us who were devoted saints and lived and died for a church and a prophet that they believed in so fully that they were willing to give of their lives to continue in the work of our Heavenly Father. I felt their testimonies in Nauvoo and I felt of the faith they had! I feel blessed to be able to have had the opportunity to get that glimpse of their lives and know and feel even a small part of their testimonies!

I don't think I have been able to put in words the things that are in my heart, but those who have studied Church History and know the stories better than I do would understand. I am NO historian and not even a good story teller, so I am not really a good one to get any good information from. Sorry about that, I guess you'll just have to find a way to go and experience Nauvoo for yourself!

Here's some of the fun stuff. Before one of the shows they had a little parade the kids could participate in. Carter joined in even though he was techinally to old. He is an awesome kid!

The National Anthem

More games.



Scott won the stick pull but Brodric got the kiss!!!




This was the trek we took. It wasn't all fun and games, some parts were tough. But we all loved it.




The Nauvoo Temple, it's beautiful!

Us at the Temple.

This is the end of Parley Street or what they call the Trail of Tears. This is the point where the pioneers either crossed the river by ferry or some crossed on frozen ice when the river miraculusly froze overnight. It was a miracle. This was a beautiful trail to walk and read exerpts from journals of the pioneer explaining their hardships. It was a really special time for us as a family as we read thier writings and walked down to the river.


Finally I wanted to add a bit about Carthage Jail. This is where the Prophet Joseph Smith was martered. He was shot through the window and fell to his death. The holes in the door were as the mobsters were shooting into the room where the Prophet and several other men were being held. It was another place where the Spirit was felt so strongly as we sat and experienced the place that the Prophet Joseph died. These are the actual bullet holes in the door.

The window looks so peaceful now. Not so much then...

Us standing outside the window where the Prophet Joseph Smith died.

1 comment:

Washington Tacoma Mission said...

I loved your Nauvoo story. Thank you for letting us experience it with you.