Monday, August 4, 2008

And then there were none...

Today was the first day of school!!! We are first time empty nesters... Well, since Scott is at work, it would put me in that category anyway, for the moment.

The troops seemed more nervous than usual this year. We haven't ever had the jitters like we did this year. Each of the kids had their own stuff going on. Kendahl is a sophomore and I think she knew what to expect this year (last year she was just too naive to know) but because she knew, it made her especially anxious.


Scott is tired because we got him out of bed to take Kendahl and he decided he would hurry and get ready and just go to work. He still looks alseep.


Carter had insomnia and for the first time in YEARS actually asked if he could come sleep with me. He was just so tired he didn't know what to do and just cried quietly and stayed awake for hours in my bed. (Strange I know for a 12 year old), but he was SOOOO sweet! At some point he did fall asleep. In the morning he simply said, "thanks mom".



Baillie (known at school again this year as Clara) came out of her bed about 9:30 pm and asked for a blessing. We were worried about her class because she wasn't with the group from last year and we hadn't heard anything positive about her teacher. But she cheerfully went this morning without any problems. At the end of the day she came home all smiles so it's all good I guess.



Brodric was the champ of them all. He didn't show any signs of fear. but he wasn't too happy to get up early this morning. When I went to wake him up 45 min. before we had to leave he said, "I'm not done sleeping yet", like that would be explanation enough. But he did get up and got there. He didn't show any signs of nerves till we actually went to his class. He was acting super shy and wouldn't let me take his picture, at least not without a struggle! Brodric is now a full day kindergartner, (even though he only went for 2 hours today)! He said he liked it and before we got very far in the car at the end of the day he had asked me three times if we were going the whole day tomorrow. He is excited!




So at the end of the school day everyone was in a good mood! That's awesome huh?! No one complained and I think everyone is looking forward to the new scheduled days ahead. School keeps us in a good groove!

As for me, I am going back to work. I am going to work at least 15 hours a week, MWF (woo hoo) and I am going to spend Tuesdays at the elementary school volunteering in both the kids classes. Every other Thursday will be with my grandma and on the other Thursdays I told Carter I could probably come over to his school. He was glad about that... I thought that was weird since he is in 7th grade, what boy wants their mom at school? But, it made me feel wanted.

It should be a great year this year! I hope anyway...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad they had such great days at school after all the struggles the night before. I wish my kids would ask to stay in bed longer thats awsome.

Kendahl is absolutely gorgeous, Yes Scott looks asleep, Carter is awsome, and Baillie and Bricky are twins! I so can't believe all your kids are in school that crazy!

Love you guys, and miss you tons!

Nettie said...

Billie, I LOVED this!!!Kendahl is GORGEOUS! I saved her picture to my computer to show Susan. Remember when she kept saying that Kendahl was the most beautiful baby she had ever seen? She'll love seeing her all grown up. I love how real Carter is. He's an old soul. I really like that kid. I hate thinking about him being so nervous that he cried. That would have killed me. Baillie sure looked cute. I'm not surprised that she made friends fast. And Brodric....he looks adorable. I'll bet you're so relieved that everyone is happy. I can't believe the schedule you're going to keep. It makes me tired just thinking about it. You're good at multi-tasking. I miss you. Hi SCOTT!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun - and, I agree - Kendhal looks beautiful. Carter rules, and his Insomnia comes from a subconscious knowledge that he's going to grow up to be some amazingly important and world-changing human being. That's alot for such a little dude to handle. So he's understandably nervous. Love your kids.