Friday, August 1, 2008

Hornworms, Squash bugs and wild watermelon; Oh MY!

I found the first tomato horned worm today out in the garden… Did you know that when you step on horned worms, green goo squishes out? It’s pretty gross! I gotta find the magic spray to kill them now! I’ll be hunting them daily, I’m sure!

The squash bugs have exhausted me… I have spent countless minutes out in the garden vacuuming them into the shopvac. It hasn’t worked! Well it did, it just didn’t get them all. I gave up last week and now there are tons! If you don’t get them in the early stages, they grow and multiply and replenish… It’s yucky.

Wild watermelon you ask? Well, I had to move the side fence of the garden cause the watermelon was growing out the fence and attaching it’s self onto the bike rack. So I moved the bike rack and killed 3 little baby watermelon in the process because they couldn’t fit through the bars of the bike rack. So sad, but it had to be done. Now we can get back to the side of the tomatoes to pick them and hopefully new little watermelon will grow on the vine. I had no idea the watermelon and cantaloupe would do so well! I only planted a few little plants! It’s crazy.

But the coolest thing coming from the garden is the CORN! We had two families over last night to eat and swim and we fed them all freshly picked corn from the garden!! And it was YUMMY!! Probably 17 ears of corn!!!!!! Ya, I know, who knew? Who knew it would actually turn out? I sure didn’t. Last week I tried an ear and it was mushy and really starchy so I thought we were doomed. But not so, we did good.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yay that you have yummy corn, and invited friends over to enjoy it w/you! Sorry bout the nasty bugs, and worms...that sounds discusting!

Anonymous said...

Wow - intense - Have fun with that garden stuff.