Saturday, November 1, 2008

Things I learned at the beach

Things I learned on the beach.
A day to remember

1. Broken shells are very valuable.
I am the proud owner of nearly every broken shell on the beach. They were given to me by a little boy who, after 4 years, finally noticed shells lying on the sand. It doesn’t seem to matter that they are broken. It only matters that he finds them to give to me! I hold them with care… what are we going to do with them???



2. The space between a rock and a hard place is sometimes where you find the treasure.
Here’s the picture… Two big rocks that are covered most of the time by ocean, except when the tide goes out. Then you can walk between the two BIG rocks. The waves crash and the water rushes into the space between them. So we stood in the space between the rocks and were pounded by waves and rocks being carried by waves. And I do mean pounded! It hurt many times, pain, not good… But we stood. And sometimes we would find the treasure! In the few seconds the water went out and before it rushed back in we found the beautiful shells! We kept hoping that the next wave to come in would bring with it a beautiful big shell. It became addicting! We wanted the next big find and that’s what made the pain worth it. The shell treasure.



3. Gambling sometimes pays off.
This is totally in reference to the shells! It was addicting and it did pay off with some really nice shells! It was a gamble standing in that rough area, but in the end we scored!

4. Don’t say obscure things when there are strangers around.
Scott and I came back from the beach and he was suddenly feeling sick. We didn’t know why, maybe it was too much heat or too much surf or too little food or water in his system, but he had to lie down and quickly! He headed in to the trailer all wet and full of sand. I was wondering how he was going to work it because he wasn’t fit to be in the trailer like that, all sandy and stuff. So as I sat just outside on the picnic bench.
I hollered into the trailer… “Are you lying down?”
He hollered back, “ya.”
And I hollered back in, “Are your clothes off?”
And just at that moment I looked across the little street to see another camper just looking at me with his eyes nearly popping out… I can only imagine what he thought. Now go back and read what we said again.
I should have ended it with a holler back into the trailer, “I’ll be right in!”

5. Sweet little kids are like a life line!
Here’s a comment from my little Brodric in
the evening. “Mom, can we hug? We haven’t hugged at all today”. That just makes the world go round!

1 comment:

Billie said...

Netty said... (but I deleted it so I had to add it back on.)

Billie, I absolutely LOVED this!!! I loved the picture's, the cousins, the view, the kids, the sisters, the crafts, the scott, the stories...everything!